Today virtually every industry is going through digitalisation, and the materials industry is no exception. Changes in digital technology are fundamentally altering the way engineers, designers and procurement teams find, evaluate and purchase materials. In this blog, we examine why suppliers need to embrace digital to prosper in the new age.
Listing on Matmatch puts your materials in front of relevant audiences. There is no better way to improve your brand awareness and get in front of qualified buyers in real-time.
Material buyers these days expect to research and evaluate their options online before purchasing. The new type of digital consumers prefers to engage with brands at theirw own pace and share experiences with one another. Numbers prove these facts:
- According to the research by IEEE GlobalSpec in 2017, 62% of engineers don’t contact a vendor until after the Research and Needs Analysis phase of the buying cycle, preferring to remain invisible and work in self-select and self-serve mode.
- Engineers reported spending 8.1 hours per week consuming engineering content (according to “How Engineers Find Information”, a report from Engineering.com). 86% of those hours are spent consuming digital content.
- 61% of industrial professionals visit six or more work-related websites each week.
- Engineers are using the Internet more often to find components, equipment, services and suppliers (68%); obtain product specifications (62%); find standards (61%); and find instruction manuals (60%).
This trend has dramatic implications for material suppliers. It definitely means that traditional marketing techniques that would have worked in the past are becoming less effective nowadays. For instance, people would rather go online than subscribe to a printed magazine or newspaper.
If people are leaving the printed world and opting for online and social media, then it makes sense for suppliers to evolve their marketing too. Hence, to remain competitive, material suppliers need to embrace the online marketing.
Here are some of the things you could get started with today:
- Monitor your website performance using Google Analytics.
- Improve the ranking of your website in Google with SEO.
- Start PPC campaigns targeting your product keywords.
- Take advantage of social media platforms like LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.
- List on a digital platform that connects the buyers of materials with suppliers.
The problem with digital marketing is that there is no one-size-fits-all set of capabilities or tools that apply universally. Companies have to identify which kind of marketing model they need based on their strategic objectives.
Most manufacturers understand they need to have a website and social media presence. They know they need content and email marketing. But they do not always know how to put together these pieces of the puzzle to drive leads and grow sales.
If you would like to receive a full report that covers how materials suppliers can get started with digital marketing, click here to download the white paper for free.
If you’d like to take advantage of the digital opportunity today, Matmatch can help. The platform links buyers of materials with suppliers. From manufacturing procurement teams and product designers to academics and engineers, Matmatch puts suppliers in front of new buyers looking for viable materials for all kinds of projects. Matmatch brings material selection into the digital age. Request more info here to get started.